Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of this advisory council is to:
- Advise the Executive Associate Dean, Research via the Research Committee.
- Provide a forum for collaboration and information sharing across Centres and Institutes.
- Identify and plan for research opportunities and align efforts across Centres and Institutes as well as with their respective Health Authorities.
This advisory council is made up of ex officio members.
The Faculty of Medicine's commitment to equitable and diverse membership on its committees and advisory councils guides its nomination and selection process.
- Executive Associate Dean, Research (chair) (1)
- Director, Research (1)
- Centre and Institute Directors (17)
Guests may be invited to join specific meetings or portions of specific meetings at the chair's discretion.
Ex officio members are members by virtue of their administrative appointment.
Ex officio members are members as long as they hold their administrative appointment.
Chaired by the Executive Associate Dean, Research.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Normally meets approximately every two months and at the call of the Chair.
All members are expected to attend all meetings in person or via videoconference or phone.
A staff member from the Office of the Executive Associate Dean, Research will capture meeting minutes. Minutes will be circulated to all members.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Meetings will normally be cancelled if fewer than half of members can attend.
This advisory council provides advice based on the input of all members. Members typically reach consensus on that advice, but may convey multiple perspectives if consensus does not emerge.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
This advisory council:
- Provides advice to the Executive Associate Dean, Research via the Research Committee.
- Collaborates with the Assistant and Associate Deans of Research Advisory Council.
- Enables communication flow with all Centres and Institutes represented.
Representatives of this advisory council liaise with other academic and administrative committees and advisory councils, as needed.
This advisory council:
- Provides advice and input to the Executive Associate Dean, Research via the Research Committee.
- Develops and recommends research plans and identifies pathways to maximize research productivity and collaboration.
- Addresses high-level or cross-Centre/Institute issues.
- Supports members in addressing localized Centre/Institute issues.
This version of these terms of reference has been approved by the Research Committee on May 2, 2018.