Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of this committee is to:
- Review declarations of conflict of interest and conflict of commitment from faculty members.
- Recommend to the Dean whether to approve, modify, or reject the declaration.
- Comply with
UBC Policy 97 and any other applicable UBC policies.
This committee is made up of ex officio and appointed members.
The Faculty of Medicine's commitment to equitable and diverse membership on its committees and advisory councils guides its nomination and selection process.
- Executive Vice Dean (chair) (1)
- Four senior faculty members (4)
Ex officio members are members by virtue of their administrative appointment.
Appointed members are appointed by the Dean through the annual process initiated by the Dean's Office.
Ex officio members are members as long as they hold their administrative appointment.
Appointed members are members for a two-year term.
Chaired by the Executive Vice Dean.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Meets as required at the call of the chair.
All members are expected to attend all meetings in person or via videoconference.
A staff member from the Office of the Executive Vice Dean will capture meeting minutes. Minutes are held in strict confidence and kept in the office of the Executive Vice Dean.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and
Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Quorum consists of 50% plus one of voting members.
Decisions will be made by vote, requiring 50% plus one of voting members present to pass.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
- Reports and makes recommendations to the Dean.
- Provides an annual report summarizing the year's activities to the Faculty Executive Committee, for information.
- Reviews declarations of conflict of interest or commitment from faculty members at the request of the Executive Vice Dean.
- Develops management plans, in consultation with Legal Counsel, as required.
- Adheres to the
FoM General Responsibilities of Standing Committees.
This version of these terms of reference has been approved by the Faculty Executive Committee on September 26, 2017, and by the Faculty of Medicine (Full Faculty) on November 14, 2017.
- Approved by Faculty Executive on November 18, 2014.