Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of this advisory council is to:
- Advise the Dean on Faculty-wide administrative matters related to represented committees and portfolios.
- Support the Dean's decision making process with diverse perspectives from across the Faculty's administrative functions.
- Enable information to flow among portfolios and inform members about activities and decisions in other areas.
This advisory council is made up of ex officio and elected members.
The Faculty of Medicine's commitment to equitable and diverse membership on its committees and advisory councils guides its nomination and selection process.
- Dean, Faculty of Medicine (chair) (1)
- Executive Vice Dean (1)
- Executive Associate Deans (3)
- Associate Dean, Health Professions (1)
- Executive Director, Communications (1)
- Executive Director, Development & Alumni Engagement (1)
- Executive Director, Faculty Affairs (1)
- Executive Director, Finance & Operations (1)
- Special Advisor, Government Relations (1)
- One Regional Associate Dean (1)
- One Department Head/School Director (1)
Guests may be invited to join specific meetings or portions of specific meetings at the chair's discretion.
Ex officio members are members by virtue of their administrative appointment.
Elected members are elected by their peers through the annual process initiated by the Dean's Office.
Ex officio members are members as long as they hold their administrative appointment.
Elected members are members for a one-year term.
Chaired by the Dean, Faculty of Medicine. The Executive Vice Dean is the alternate chair, as needed.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Normally meets approximately every week and at the call of the chair.
All members are expected to attend all meetings in person or via videoconference or phone.
A staff member from the Office of the Dean will capture meeting minutes. Minutes will be circulated to all members.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and
Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Meetings will normally be cancelled if fewer than half of members can attend.
This advisory council provides advice based on the input of all members. Members typically reach consensus on that advice, but may convey multiple perspectives if consensus does not emerge.
The Dean will consider the advisory council's advice when making a decision, either in the meeting our outside of the meeting.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
This advisory council:
- Provides advice to the Dean, Faculty of Medicine.
- Reviews and provides feedback on recommendations made by other committees to the Dean.
Representatives of this advisory council liaise with other academic and administrative committees and advisory councils, as needed.
This advisory council:
- Reviews and provides feedback on recommendations from other committees to the Dean, as needed.
- Provides advice to the Dean in support of the Dean's role and mandate.
- Provides a forum for communication of issues that affect individual members and portfolios.
- Reviews its terms of reference on an approximately annual basis and recommends updates to the Dean, as needed.
This version of these terms of reference has been approved by the Faculty Executive Committee on September 26, 2017, and by the Faculty of Medicine (Full Faculty) on November 14, 2017.