Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of this committee is to:
- Recommend to the Dean allocation of Ministry of Advanced Education (AVED) funds held in trust at UBC for the distributed program (known as the "Distributed UGME Program Budget") to each of the collaborating universities for the UGME program and associated activities at the distributed sites.
- Inform and secure approvals needed from the collaborating institutions, namely the University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC), University of Victoria (UVic), and University of British Columbia (UBC Okanagan and Vancouver), the UBC Faculty of Medicine, and others as required, in the spirit of academic collaboration.
- Ensure that the highest standards of education and research continue to be incorporated into the distributed UGME program and associated activities at the distributed sites.
- Liaise with the UBC Faculty of Medicine Finance Committee to ensure Faculty-wide financial alignment.
DPPC was established through the affiliation agreements between UBC and UNBC, and between UBC and UVic. It replaced the Implementation Planning Subcommittee for Medical Education (IPSME), which was originally established at the direction of AVED to approve the distribution of the government grant held in trust by UBC.
DPPC is comprised of six members from UBC and three from each of UVic and UNBC. The UBC members include representatives of the Vancouver Fraser Medical Program (VFMP), based in Vancouver, and the Southern Medical Program (SMP), based in Kelowna. The intent of this composition is to ensure that UBC has the same number of voting members as the two collaborating universities combined.
This committee is made up of ex officio members.
UBC ex officio
- Executive Associate Dean, Education, UBC Faculty of Medicine, or delegate (1)
- Associate Dean, Undergraduate Medical Education, UBC Faculty of Medicine, or delegate (1)
- Regional Associate Dean, Vancouver Fraser, UBC Faculty of Medicine (1)
- Provost and Vice Principal, Academic, UBC Okanagan, or delegate (1)
- Regional Associate Dean, Interior and Associate Vice Provost, Medical Sciences, UBC Okanagan (1)
- Comptroller and Senior Budget Officer, UBC, or delegate (1)
UNBC ex officio
- Vice President, Academic and Provost, UNBC, or delegate (1)
- Vice President Finance and Business Operations, UNBC, or delegate (1)
- Regional Associate Dean, Northern BC and Associate Vice President, NMP, UNBC (1)
UVic ex officio
- Vice President, Finance and Operations, UVic, or delegate (1)
- Associate Vice President, Academic Planning, UVic, or delegate (1)
- Regional Associate Dean, Vancouver Island and Head, Medical Sciences, UVic (1)
- Provost and Vice President Academic, UBC, or delegate (chair) (1)
- Dean, UBC Faculty of Medicine, or delegate (1)
- Executive Director, Finance and Operations, UBC Faculty of Medicine, or delegate (1)
- Senior Director, Education Programs and Services, UBC Faculty of Medicine, or delegate (1)
Guests may be invited to join specific meetings or portions of specific meetings at the chair's discretion.
Ex officio members are members by virtue of their administrative appointment.
Ex officio members are members as long as they hold their administrative appointment.
Chaired by UBC's Provost and Vice President, Academic, or delegate. If delegated, the chair must be agreed to by all members.
The chair convenes this committee and is a non-voting member.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Normally meets approximately quarterly or more frequently at the call of the chair.
A staff member from the UBC Faculty of Medicine will capture meeting minutes. Minutes will be circulated to all members.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Quorum consists of at least one representative from each of the four collaborating sites (UNBC, UVic, UBC-O, and UBC-V), other than a Regional Associate Dean. However, meetings are usually scheduled so that the majority of members are able to attend.
The intent of DPPC is to make decisions by consensus. Where this does not occur, the committee will decide by vote, requiring 50% plus one of voting members present to pass.
DPPC receives resource allocation recommendations from the UGME Regional and Resource Advisory Council. DPPC considers the recommendations and decides whether to request changes or to recommend them to the Dean, UBC Faculty of Medicine for final approval. If the Dean is not in agreement with the DPPC recommendation, he/she will request that DPPC further deliberate and discuss in an effort to bring the matter to resolution.
If any member is in fundamental opposition to a DPPC decision made by vote or if DPPC cannot agree on a new recommendation following feedback from the Dean, DPPC may strike an ad hoc working group with appropriate membership to develop a resolution and propose it to DPPC, which DPPC will consider and decide whether to recommend to the Dean.
If DPPC remains unable to reach consensus on a revised recommendation to the Dean, any member may trigger the formal dispute resolution process, which requires the chair to refer the matter to the Inter-University Planning Council (IUPC), which will establish a dispute resolution process for DPPC and manage it, if required.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
- Receives recommendations and items or reports for discussion from the UGME Regional and Resource Advisory Council.
- Considers recommendations and decides whether to request changes or recommend them to the Dean, UBC Faculty of Medicine for final approval. In some cases, recommendations or reports are also made to senior administration of the collaborating universities, as appropriate.
- Makes its resource allocation recommendations to the Dean via the UBC Faculty of Medicine Finance Committee, which is chaired by the Dean, to ensure coordination of overall Faculty of Medicine financial management.
- Provides an annual report summarizing the year's activities to the UBC Faculty of Medicine Faculty Executive Committee, for information, and each member is responsible to make any necessary reports to his or her institution's governing bodies.
- May delegate responsibilities to subcommittees and/or ad hoc groups to make recommendations on, or conduct, specific aspects of the committee's mandate.
- Ensures that the Distributed UGME Program Budget and expenditure is aligned with the distributed UGME program and associated activities at distributed sites, UGME accreditation requirements for geographically distributed programs, and the UBC Faculty of Medicine strategic plan.
- Recommends processes to ensure the effective and appropriate reporting of allocated funds.
- Reviews budget proposals from the UGME Regional and Resource Advisory Council and recommends to the Dean, UBC Faculty of Medicine the implementation of those proposals as judged appropriate.
- Identifies and makes recommendations where appropriate regarding the creation of funding or cost reduction strategies to resolve any shortfall in financial resources.
- Via its members, informs and secures approvals from the collaborating institutions, the UBC Faculty of Medicine, and others as required.
- Encourages coordinated communication and ensures that all stakeholders are kept apprised of the progress of the distributed UGME program and associated activities at distributed sites.
- Encourages coordinated communication and integration of all distributed Faculty of Medicine education programs, including postgraduate medical education programs.
- Ensures that senior administration of each university is kept apprised of issues related to the distributed UGME program and associated activities and informed of budgetary implications, and assists in resolving budgetary issues that arise.
- Ensures that the DPPC terms of reference are reviewed by UNBC, UVic, and UBC representatives annually, normally in June, and any changes are approved by the Dean, UBC Faculty of Medicine.
- The Committee will adhere to the FoM General Responsibilities of Standing Committees.
This version of these terms of reference has been endorsed by DPPC on September 13, 2017, and it has been approved by the Faculty Executive Committee on September 26, 2017 and by the Faculty of Medicine (Full Faculty) on November 14, 2017.
- Reviewed and approved by Faculty Executive July 21, 2015
- Reviewed and approved by DPPC June 3, 2015
- Reviewed and approved by Faculty Executive July 15, 2014
- Reviewed and approved by DPPC June 4, 2014
- Reviewed and approved by DPPC April 11, 2012
- Reviewed and approved by DPPC October 12, 2011
- Reviewed and approved by DPPC March 4, 2009
- Reviewed and approved by DPPC January 10, 2007
- Reviewed and approved by UNBC, UVic, and UBC through affiliation agreements, May 18, 2004
 In the event that the IUPC no longer meets, an ad hoc council with the same members and mandate as IUPC, as referenced in Schedule 4 of the Affiliation Agreements between UNBC and UBC, and between UVic and UBC, will be called.