Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of this committee is to:
- Recommend to the Dean new appointments at, or promotion to, the ranks of Senior Instructor, Professor of Teaching, Associate Professor, or Professor, as well as all tenure decisions in accordance with the provisions of the Collective Agreement and Faculty of Medicine Policy on Partner Appointments.
- Recommend to the Dean reappointment of Instructors, Assistant Professors, and Associate Professors only when a negative recommendation has been made to the Dean by a Department Head or School Director.
This committee is made up of elected and appointed members.
The Faculty of Medicine's commitment to equitable and diverse membership on its committees and advisory councils guides its nomination and selection process.
- Six senior faculty members (Professors with tenure), at least two scientists and at least two clinicians (6)
- Four senior faculty members (Professors with tenure), two scientists and two clinicians (4)
- Two Department Heads/School Directors (2)
- Dean, Faculty of Medicine or delegate (chair)
Elected members are elected by faculty through the annual process initiated by the Dean's Office.
Appointed members are appointed by the Dean through the annual process initiated by the Dean's Office.
Elected members are members for a four-year term.
Appointed members are members for a four-year term.
Chaired by the Dean or delegate.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Normally meets approximately twice a month from September to June and at the call of the chair.
All members are expected to attend all meetings in person or via videoconference.
The Faculty HR Managers, Faculty Affairs will capture voting results.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and
Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Quorum consists of 50% of voting members (six members).
Decisions are made by vote, requiring 50% plus one of voting members present to pass. The chair does not vote.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
- Reports and makes recommendations to the Dean.
- Makes recommendations to the Dean regarding:
- New appointments at, or promotions to, the ranks of Senior Instructor, Professor of Teaching, Associate Professor, or Professor;
- Granting of tenure;
- Reappointment of grant tenure track and tenure track Instructors, Assistant Professors, and Associate Professors only when a negative recommendation for reappointment has been made to the Dean by a Department Head or School Director.
- Reviews Faculty, Departmental, and School procedures regarding appointment, reappointment, promotion, and tenure reviews and, as needed, recommends procedural changes to the Dean.
- Adheres to the
FoM General Responsibilities of Standing Committees.
This version of these terms of reference has been approved by the Faculty Executive Committee on September 26, 2017, and by the Faculty of Medicine (Full Faculty) on November 14, 2017.
- Approved by Faculty Executive on November 18, 2014.