Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of this advisory council is to:
- Advise the Executive Associate Dean, Education and the Academic Director, Education Innovation on the establishment, structure, and function of the Office of Education Innovation, including mandate, governance, accountability, and guiding principles.
- Advise the Professional Education Committee on OEI activities related to non-degree professional education initiatives.
This advisory council is made up of ex officio and appointed members.
The Faculty of Medicine's commitment to equitable and diverse membership on its committees and advisory councils guides its nomination and selection process.
- Academic Director, Education Innovation (1) (chair)
- Assistant Academic Director, Education Innovation (1) (vice-chair)
- Executive Associate Dean, Education (1)
- Executive Director, Finance and Operations (1)
- Senior Director, Education Programs and Services (1)
- Senior Manager, Education Technology, MedIT (1)
- Senior Director, Office of the Dean and Strategic Initiatives (1)
- Associate Dean, Continuing Professional Development (1)
- Head, Department of Medicine (1)
- Coordinator, Health Professions Education (1)
- Associate Provost, Innovation (1)
- Director, Centre for Health Education Scholarship, or delegate (1)
- Operations Manager, Office of Education Innovation
- One Faculty of Education representative (1)
Guests may be invited to join specific meetings or portions of specific meetings at the chair's discretion.
If any member is unable to attend the majority of meetings, then the chair may designate a replacement.
Ex officio members are members by virtue of their administrative appointment.
Appointed members are appointed by the Executive Associate Dean, Education.
Ex officio members are members as long as they hold their administrative appointment.
Appointed members are members for a one-year term and are eligible for renewal by mutual agreement.
Chaired by the Academic Director, Education Innovation, with the Assistant Academic Director, Education Innovation as the vice-chair.
If the chair is unable to attend the majority of meetings, then the vice-chair will assume the chair's duties or the advisory council itself will designate a replacement.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Normally meets on a quarterly basis and at the call of the chair or vice-chair.
All members are expected to attend all meetings in person or via videoconference or phone.
The Operations Manager, Office of Education Innovation will capture meeting minutes. Minutes will be circulated to all members.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Meetings will normally be cancelled if fewer than half of members can attend.
This advisory council provides advice based on the input of all members. Members typically reach consensus on that advice, but may convey multiple perspectives if consensus does not emerge.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
This advisory council:
- Provides advice to the Executive Associate Dean, Education and the Academic Director, Education Innovation.
- Provides advice to the Professional Education Committee regarding OEI.
Representatives of this advisory council liaise with other academic and administrative committees and advisory councils, as needed.
This advisory council:
- Develops and articulates the mandate, governance, and accountability for the OEI.
- Identifies current best practices in education innovation, based on research in the education environment in the course of its deliberations.
- Develops the guiding principles for OEI.
- Advises the criteria by which OEI proposals will be adjudicated.
- Reviews programs/projects to provide advice on whether they should be approved, declined, or deferred, and advise on priority sequence of approved and deferred programs/projects.
This version of these terms of reference have been approved by the Academic Director, Education Innovation on December 5, 2017.