Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of this committee is to:
- Approve PGME initiatives and recommend initiatives to the Faculty Executive Committee and Full faculty, as required.
- Facilitate governance and oversight of all residency programs (1.3).
- Support the Associate Dean, Postgraduate Medical Education in planning, organizing, and evaluating all aspects of residency education (126.96.36.199).
- Advocate for the resources and support needed for the functioning of quality residency programs (2.2).
- Ensure compliance with the General Standards of Accreditation for Institutions with Residency Programs and General Standards of Accreditation for Residency Programs.
This committee is made up of ex officio, elected, and appointed members.
The Faculty of Medicine's commitment to equitable and diverse membership on its committees and advisory councils guides its nomination and selection process.
Ex officio (1.3.1 & 2.3.1)
- Associate Dean, Postgraduate Medical Education (chair) (1)
- Executive Associate Dean, Education (1)
- Senior Director, Education Programs and Services (1)
- Assistant Dean, Postgraduate Medical Education (1)
- Executive Associate Dean, Clinical Partnerships and Professionalism (1)
- Regional Associate Deans (4)
- Associate Dean, Continuing Professional Development (1)
- Associate Dean, Undergraduate Medical Education (1)
- Director, Clinical Faculty Affairs (1)
- Director, International Medical Graduate Assessment Program (1)
- Residency Program Directors, including Basic Clinical Year Program Directors (~75)
- President, Resident Doctors of BC (1)
- Administrative Director, Postgraduate Medical Education (1)
- One Vice President or equivalent from Fraser Health Authority (1)
- One Vice President or equivalent from Interior Health Authority (1)
- One Vice President or equivalent from Northern Health Authority (1)
- One Vice President or equivalent from Provincial Health Services Authority (1)
- One Vice President or equivalent from Providence Health Care (Vancouver Coastal Health) (1)
- One Vice President or equivalent from Vancouver Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health) (1)
- One Vice President or equivalent from Vancouver Island Health Authority (1)
- Faculty Lead, Accreditation (1)
- Faculty Lead, Competency-based Education (1)
- Faculty Lead, Transition into Practice (1)
- Assistant Dean, Faculty Development (and/or delegate) (1)
- Director, Evaluation Studies Unit (1)
- Resident Wellness Office Representative (1)
- PGME Accreditation and CBME Manager (1)
Guests may be invited to join specific meetings or portions of specific meetings at the chair's discretion.
Ex officio members are members by virtue of their administrative appointment.
Elected members are elected by their peers through the annual process initiated by the Office of Postgraduate Medical Education.
Appointed members are appointed by the Dean through the annual process initiated by the Dean's Office.
Ex officio members are members as long as they hold their administrative appointment.
Elected members are members for a one-year term and are eligible for renewal.
Appointed members are members for a one-year term and are eligible for renewal.
Chaired by the Associate Dean, Postgraduate Medical Education.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Normally meets approximately three times per year and at the call of the chair (188.8.131.52).
All members are expected to attend all meetings in person or via videoconference or phone.
A staff member from the Office of Postgraduate Medical Education will capture meeting minutes. Minutes will be circulated to all members.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Quorum consists of 50% plus one of voting members.
Decisions are typically made by consensus. When consensus does not emerge, decisions will be made by vote, requiring 50% plus one of voting members present to pass.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
- Presents an annual report summarizing the year's activities to the Faculty Executive Committee.
- Seeks input from the Department Heads and School Directors Committee before presenting recommendations to the Faculty Executive Committee, as appropriate.
- Makes recommendations to the Faculty Executive Committee and Full Faculty, as required.
- May delegate responsibilities to subcommittees and/or ad hoc groups to make recommendations on, or conduct, specific aspects of the committee's mandate.
- Serves as a communication forum between the UBC Faculty of Medicine PGME programs and BC's Health Authorities, among the UBC Faculty of Medicine education programs, among program directors, and across the continuum of medical education. (2.3.1)
Representatives of this committee liaise with other academic and administrative committees and advisory councils, as needed.
- Develops, adopts, and disseminates policies and processes for all aspects of residency education at the University of British Columbia (including, but not limited to, policies related to selection, evaluation, promotion, and dismissal of residents in all programs, and policies related to resident safety related to travel and patient encounters), and ensures they are reviewed regularly and updated as needed. (2.1.1)
- Facilitates residency programs in meeting the specific standards for the discipline and achieving the Faculty of Medicine's vision/mission, including its social accountability mandate. (2.2.1)
- Ensures there are, and advocates for, adequate resources and support to allow residency programs to meet accreditation standards. (2.2.2)
- Ensures a confidential system of resident and teacher information is maintained. (2.2.3)
- Maintains effective working relationships with all residency education stakeholders, including program directors, residency program committees, administrative personnel, undergraduate medical education, continuing professional development, faculty development, all learning sites, other health professionals, government, and the certifying colleges and medical regulatory authorities. (2.3.1)
- Reviews and improves the quality of the postgraduate medical education structure and governance on a regular basis. (8.1)
- Oversees the process to internally review and improve all residency programs, which is conducted by the Internal Review Subcommittee and will include conducting an internal review of each residency program between regular mandated on-site surveys and as specifically mandated by the Accreditation Committees of the Colleges, and providing effective follow-up mechanisms to ensure implementation of recommended changes. (8.2)
- Builds capacity and facilitates residency programs to identify, monitor, and correct issues through continuous improvement. (8.3)
- Establishes and maintains an appeal mechanism for matters related to postgraduate medical education decisions.
- Ensures that residents are allocated to teaching institutions based on educational priorities.
- Gives clear direction to Program Directors and assures that they are supported by their Department/Division Head and the Associate Dean in the conduct of their educational programs, including the allocation of residents.
- Ensures a proper educational environment free of intimidation, harassment, and abuse, with mechanisms in place to deal with such issues as they arise, and ensures that there is a collaborative process to review and improve the quality of the learning environment at each learning site. (9.1)
- Ensures that there are adequate guidelines for the supervision of residents.
- Ensures that all residency programs teach and evaluate their residents' competencies as defined within the CanMEDS/CanMEDS-FM framework.
- Ensures that there are adequate opportunities for faculty development.
- Ensures its terms of reference are reviewed regularly, informs the Faculty Executive Committee of substantive changes, and considers its feedback.
- Adheres to the FoM General Responsibilities of Standing Committees.
This version of these terms of reference has been approved by the PGME Committee on February 13, 2018, by the Faculty Executive Committee on March 20, 2018.
- Approved by the Faculty of Medicine (Full Faculty) on November 14, 2017.
- Approved by the Faculty Executive Committee on September 26, 2017
- Approved by Faculty Residency Committee (former name of PGME Committee) on September 26, 2017
- Approved by Faculty Executive on January 20, 2015
- Approved by Faculty Executive on November 18, 2014
- Approved by Faculty Executive on November 20, 2012