Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of this subcommittee is to:
- Recommend decisions to the Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) Committee related to policies, new programs, or substantive changes to programs.
- Act on behalf of the PGME Committee between its meetings.
This subcommittee is made up of ex officio and elected members.
The Faculty of Medicine's commitment to equitable and diverse membership on its committees and advisory councils guides its nomination and selection process.
- Associate Dean, Postgraduate Medical Education (chair) (1)
- Executive Associate Dean, Education (1)
- Regional Associate Deans (4)
- Assistant Dean, Postgraduate Medical Education (1)
- Associate Dean, Undergraduate Medical Education (1)
- Program Directors from the following Departments (15)
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- General Surgery
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
- Public Health and Preventative Medicine
- Basic Clinical Year Director, St. Paul's Hospital (1)
- Basic Clinical Year Director, Greater Victoria Hospitals (1)
- Basic Clinical Year Director, Royal Columbian Hospital (1)
- Director, Surgical Foundations (1)
- Director, International Medical Graduate Assessment Program (1)
- Senior Director, Education Programs and Services (1)
- Administrative Director, Postgraduate Medical Education (1)
- Two Program Directors from other programs (2)
- Two residents (2)
- Faculty Lead, Accreditation (1)
- Faculty Lead, Competency-based Education (1)
- Director, Evaluation Studies (1)
Guests may be invited to join specific meetings or portions of specific meetings at the chair's discretion.
Ex officio members are members by virtue of their administrative appointment.
Elected members are elected by their peers through the annual process initiated by the Office of PGME.
Ex officio members are members as long as they hold their administrative appointment.
Elected members are members for a one–year term and are eligible for renewal.
Chaired by the Associate Dean, Postgraduate Medical Education.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Normally meets approximately four times per year and at the call of the chair.
All members are expected to attend all meetings in person or via videoconference or phone.
A staff member from the Office of PGME will capture meeting minutes. Minutes will be circulated to all members.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Quorum consists of 50% plus one of voting members.
Decisions are typically made by consensus. When consensus does not emerge, decisions will be made by vote, requiring 50% plus one of voting members present to pass.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
- Takes direction from and acts on behalf of the PGME Committee.
- Makes recommendations to the PGME Committee related to policies, new programs, or substantive changes to programs.
- Seeks input from the Department Heads and School Directors Advisory Council, as appropriate.
- May delegate responsibilities to subcommittees and/or ad hoc groups to make recommendations on, or conduct, specific aspects of the committee's mandate, for example:
- Internal Review (accreditation) Subcommittee
- Postgraduate Year 1 Subcommittee
- Residency Program Subcommittees (one for each of the programs)
- Program Directors Working Group
Representatives of this subcommittee liaise with other academic and administrative committees and advisory councils, as needed.
- Acts on behalf of the PGME Committee and seeks approval for decisions related to policies, new programs, and substantive changes to programs.
This version of these terms of reference has been approved by the Faculty Residency Committee (former name of the PGME Committee) on September 26, 2017.
- Updated August 20, 2015
- Approved by Faculty Executive November 18, 2014
- Approved by Faculty Residency Committee March 27, 2012