Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of this subcommittee is to:
- Recommend to the MD Admissions Subcommittee qualified, self-identified Canadian Indigenous applicants (Status Indians, Non-Status Indians, Metis, and Inuit) for interview and offer of admission to the MD Program, up to 5% of the total number of students to be admitted, and in accordance with University of British Columbia and Faculty of Medicine admissions policies and the Faculty of Medicine's social responsibility mandate.
This subcommittee is made up of ex officio and appointed members.
The Faculty of Medicine's commitment to equitable and diverse membership on its committees and advisory councils guides its nomination and selection process.
- Assistant Dean, Admissions, MD Program (co-chair) (1)
- Coordinator, Indigenous Student Initiatives (co-chair) (1)
- Two MD Admissions Subcommittee members (2)
- One University of Victoria member (1)
- One University of Northern British Columbia member (1)
- One University of British Columbia, Okanagan Campus member (1)
- One UBC Indigenous faculty member (1)
- One FoM Indigenous physician member (1)
- One UBC Centre of Excellence in Indigenous Health member (1)
- One First Nations House of Learning Representative (1)
- One Metis member (1)
- One Indigenous Elder (1)
- Two Indigenous Medical Student Society members (one senior and one junior) (2)
Guests may be invited to join specific meetings or portions of specific meetings at the co-chairs' discretion.
Ex officio members are members by virtue of their administrative appointment.
Appointed members are appointed by the Assistant Dean, Admissions, MD Program.
Ex officio members are members as long as they hold their administrative appointment.
Appointed students are members for a two-year term and are not eligible for renewal.
Other appointed members are members for a three-year term and are eligible for one renewal.
Co-chaired by the Assistant Dean, Admissions, MD Program, and the Indigenous Student Initiatives Coordinator.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Normally meets twice per year and at the call of the co-chairs.
All members are expected to attend all meetings in person or via videoconference or phone. Because of the confidential nature of the Subcommittee's business, substitution of representatives at meetings is not permitted.
A staff member from the UGME Office will capture meeting minutes. Minutes will be circulated to all members, and are strictly confidential.
All members are required to sign a Confidentiality and Conflict of Interest Agreement at the beginning of each admissions cycle.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Quorum consists of 50% plus one of voting members.
Decisions regarding recommendations to the MD Admissions Subcommittee about candidate files are made by vote, requiring a two thirds (2/3) majority of voting members present to vote in favour in order to pass.
Other decisions are made by vote, requiring 50% plus one of voting members present to vote in favour in order to pass.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
- Makes recommendations to, reports to, takes direction from, and submits a written annual report to the MD Admissions Subcommittee.
Representatives of this subcommittee liaise with other academic and administrative committees and advisory councils, as needed.
- Recommends to the MD Admissions Subcommittee the additional criteria for Indigenous applicant selection.
- Reviews the applications and supporting documentation to identify suitable applicants for the Indigenous Panel Interview.
- Recommends to the MD Admissions Subcommittee qualified, self-identified Indigenous applicants for interview.
- Conducts the Indigenous Panel Interviews.
- Recommends to the MD Admissions Subcommittee the qualified, self-identified Indigenous applicants for offer of admission.
- Ensures that recommendations to the MD Admissions Subcommittee are transparent, equitable, and legally defensible, and that they adhere to the policies set by the MD Admissions Subcommittee.
- Reviews its terms of reference on an annual basis and recommends changes to the MD Admissions Subcommittee, as needed.
This version of these terms of reference has been approved by the Undergraduate Medical Education Committee on March 19, 2018.
- Approved by the MD Undergraduate Education Committee on June 19, 2017.
- Revised in October, 2015.
- Received by Faculty Executive on September 15, 2015.
- Approved by the MD Undergraduate Regional Executive on August 25, 2015.
- Originally developed in August, 2012.