Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority*
The purpose of this subcommittee is to:
- Ensure a programmatic approach to policy development and review.
- Review existing undergraduate medical education (UGME) policies as scheduled or requested and recommend changes to UGMEC, as appropriate.
- At the request of stakeholders, draft new policies for discussion and approval by the Undergraduate Medical Education Committee (UGMEC).
*CACMS Standard 1.3 Mechanisms for Faculty Participation: A medical school ensures that there are effective mechanisms in place for direct faculty participation in decision-making related to the medical education program, including opportunities for faculty participation in discussions about, and the establishment of, policies and procedures for the program, as appropriate.
This subcommittee is made up of ex officio and appointed members.
The Faculty of Medicine's commitment to equitable and diverse membership on its committees and advisory councils guides its nomination and selection process.
- Site Assistant Deans, Undergraduate Medical Education, or delegates (4)
- Director, Curriculum (1)
- Director, Assessment (1)
- Associate Dean, Student Affairs (1)
- Chair, Student Promotion and Review Board (1)
- Chair (1)
- One student member of UGMEC (1)
- One clinical faculty member of UGMEC (1)
- One foundational science faculty member of UGMEC (1)
- One Administrative Director, rotating among IMP, NMP, SMP, and VFMP (1)
Guests may be invited to join specific meetings or portions of specific meetings at the chair's discretion.
Ex officio members are members by virtue of their administrative appointment.
The chair is appointed by the chair of the UGMEC.
The Administrative Director is appointed by the chair in consultation with the Administrative Directors.
Other appointed members are appointed by the UGMEC from its own membership.
Ex officio members are members as long as they hold their administrative appointment.
The chair is appointed for a three year term.
The appointed Administrative Director rotates approximately annually or as decided by the chair in consultation with the Administrative Directors.
Other appointed members are members of this subcommittee for as long as they are members of the UGMEC.
The chair of the Policy Advisory Subcommittee is appointed by the chair of the UGMEC.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Meets six times a year and/or at the call of the chair.
All members are expected to attend all meetings in person or via videoconference or phone.
A staff member from the Office of the Associate Dean, UGME will support the subcommittee, as required.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Members may provide input into the work of the subcommittee in person at meetings and/or by sending input to the chair outside of meetings.
Members collaborate on the work of the subcommittee and typically come to consensus on recommendations to the UGMEC. If consensus cannot be reached, the decision will be referred for full discussion and vote at the UGMEC.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
- Reports to the UGMEC.
- Provides an annual report to the UGMEC.
- Seeks input from other policy-making bodies before presenting recommendations to the UGMEC (e.g., UBC Central, College of Physicians & Surgeons of BC).
- Makes recommendations regarding policies to the UGMEC.
Representatives of this subcommittee liaise with other academic and administrative committees and advisory councils, as needed.
- Maintains an up-to-date repository of policies applicable to UGME.
- Considers new and revised policies of UGME with a view to:
- Internal consistency with other UGME policies, and/or
- Compliance with Faculty of Medicine and UBC policies, and/or
- Compliance with CACMS accreditation standards.
- Receives requests for new policy and revisions to existing policies from UGMEC and its constituent subcommittees (Year 1&2 Curriculum Subcommittee, Year 3&4 Curriculum Subcommittee, Student Assessment Subcommittee, and Student Promotion and Review Board) and makes recommendations to UGMEC.
- May convene a representative working group to advise on or draft policies.
- Advises UGMEC and its constituent subcommittees of the policy approval process and requirements.
- Ensures periodic review of UGME policies for currency and consistency of application.
- Reviews its terms of reference on an annual basis and recommends updates to the UGMEC, as needed.
This version of these terms of reference has been approved by the UGME Committee on April 23, 2018.
- Approved by the MD Undergraduate Education Committee, April 23, 2018
- Reviewed by the MD Undergraduate Education Committee, December 19, 2016
- Approved by the MD Undergraduate Education Committee, September 21, 2015