Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of this subcommittee is to:
- Consider and make decisions on student requests for transfer between sites.
- Recommend to the Undergraduate Medical Education Committee any updates to policies and procedures regarding student transfers.
When accepted into the MD undergraduate program, students are clearly informed that their site assignment is permanent. Transfers are granted in the most exceptional of circumstances and will be considered only if space is available at the destination site.
This subcommittee is made up of ex officio members.
The Faculty of Medicine's commitment to equitable and diverse membership on its committees and advisory councils guides its nomination and selection process.
- Assistant Dean, IMP (1)
- Assistant Dean, NMP (1)
- Assistant Dean, Vancouver Fraser (1)
- Regional Associate Dean, Interior, or delegate (1)
- Associate Dean, UGME Student Affairs (1)
Guests may be invited to join specific meetings or portions of specific meetings at the chair's discretion.
Ex officio members are members by virtue of their administrative appointment.
Ex officio members are members as long as they hold their administrative appointment.
Chaired by one of the voting members, rotating among sites every 1-2 years.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Normally meets approximately twice per year or at the call of the chair.
All members are expected to attend all meetings in person or via videoconference or phone.
A staff member from the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education will capture meeting notes/minutes. Minutes and a record of all decisions will be circulated to all members.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Quorum consists of at least three voting members and should include a member from each of the sites affected by the student transfer request(s) on the agenda. If any member is unable to attend, that member may provide an option to the chair before the meeting.
Decisions are usually made by consensus. When consensus does not emerge, decisions will be made by vote, requiring 50% plus one of voting members present to vote in favour pass. In case of a tie vote, the matter will be referred to the Executive Associate Dean, Education for decision.
Decisions made by the Student Transfer Subcommittee are not appealable.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
- Is delegated authority to make decisions regarding student transfers among sites by the UGMEC.
- Reports annually to the UGMEC.
Representatives of this subcommittee liaise with other academic and administrative committees and advisory councils, as needed.
- Receives student transfer requests.
- Obtains input from the affected sites and the Office of Student Affairs regarding capacity and mitigating circumstances.
- Obtains other relevant information, including further information from the student, which will be useful in making a decision regarding transfer.
- Considers each request in light of the Policy and Procedure Regarding Student Transfer between Program Sites.
- Makes a decision about each student transfer request and informs the student and the affected sites of that decision.
- Recommends to the UGMEC any changes to policies and procedures regarding student transfers between program sites.
- Reviews its terms of reference in June each year and recommends changes to UGMEC.
This version of these terms of reference has been approved by the UGME Committee on April 23, 2018.
- Approved by the Undergraduate Medical Education Committee on April 23, 2018.
- Updated on April 13, 2018.
- Updated on November 4, 2015.
- Revised and approved by the Student Transfer Subcommittee on April 17, 2015.
- Revised and approved by MDUREX on October 17, 2013.
- Revised August 23, 2013.
- Approved by the Student Transfer Subcommittee.