The Space Planning & Facilities Management unit supports the Faculty of Medicine in the provision of medical education, research and administration by developing and utilizing university and health authority academic facilities to meet functional requirements for all programs. The Space Planning & Facilities Management unit is also responsible for Purchasing.
To enable core training to be effectively delivered in clinical and academic settings, medical education requires these types of infrastructure:
Academic space in affiliated hospitals to enable groups of trainees and clinical faculty to meet to review patients
Video-conference rooms to ensure that trainees can connect to academic learning delivered elsewhere
Call-rooms and other living facilities to enable students/residents to stay overnight or take call
Top 10 Services
- Champion the FoM’s academic space interests with the Ministry of Health, Health Authorities, and UBC stakeholders.
- Lead the design and project management of FoM capital projects at University and Health Care facilities across BC, creating the functional program requirements for academic space and negotiating project budgets with the Ministry of Health.
- Oversee the management of shared academic resources and systems across the province including video-conference facilities, lecture theatres, on-call rooms, clinical skills rooms and other teaching facilities.
- Develop academic space allocation and utilization policies, guidelines and agreements including space management tools and processes.
- Assist FoM departments, schools, research centres and institutes, and administrative units with space planning, utilization and management.
- Create space acquisition plans and manages renovations, relocations and maintenance projects at FOM sites.
- Manage Ministry of Health funding for minor capital renovations of FoM academic space.
- Maintain an annual inventory of FoM academic space across the province (teaching, administration and research).
- Manage and maintain FoM facilities, such as the Life Sciences Centre, to ensure that health, safety & security issues of the building and its occupants are addressed.
- Coordinate the procurement of computer, office equipment and mobile devices for the FoM Point Grey Campus and Health Authority sites.
Visit Facilities for more information.