Questions New Faculty Members Should Ask:
Based on the 1999 retreat of UBC Faculty organized by TAG, the following are suggested as some of the questions new faculty members may want to ask Department Heads/School Directors and Mentors.
- Review expectations of Department Head re: position.
- How do I get tenure?
- What is performance appraisal system, i.e. nature, frequency?
- How often are we going to meet and should I initiate it or the Department Head/School Director? (or mentor)
- To whom do I go for help if I have a problem with my School Direcor/Department (or Division) Head? (A safe person)
- What about support staff/secretarial time?
- Do I have a budget to work with?
- What committees should I belong to?
- Am I responsible for covering my own teaching?
- Must I cover for others?
B. IT & Library
- Which list serves should I belong to (and URL bookmarks)?
- What library resources are there? How do I get the library to order materials? To whom do I complain if my journal is cancelled? How soon must I order reserve materials? [What services are provided by the library at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC]
- Who is the library liaison for the faculty?
- How do I order texts from the bookstore?
- How do I get e-mail/internet?
- Who is the IT contact person?
- What is available to orient me campus-wide?
- Where do I get keys and how do I get parking?
- Where do I get ID? (teaching hospital)
- What are the safety regulations (fire, safety & WCB)?
- What are the resources and facilities for parking in university activities beyond my department?
- What union contracts are we obliged to honour?
- What about personal security issues, e.g. working late hours?
- What about car pooling, ride sharing, other transportation….campus? What about shuttle service from campus to teaching hospitals?
- What funds are available?
- What practical guidelines exist for me?
- What resources are available to support me re: equity, unfair criticism?
- What are the expectations if I get sick (or my child/parent gets sick)?
- How do I get financial advice to manage my pension plan?
- What about holiday time?
- What about housing plans/loans?
- What about health/dental benefits?
- What about long-term sick time?
- What about maternity/paternity leave?