PI sends application package to department head and (if applicable) centre director for approval.
Confirm turnaround time with department/centre.
2. Dean's Office
PI sends application package to Dean's signature contact for approval.
Allow 2 business days for turnaround.
3. Office of Research Services (ORS)
Dean's signature contact sends application package to ORS for institutional approval.
Allow 2 business days for turnaround.
4. Submit to Funding Agency
ORS returns application to PI. PI submits to funding agency.
- Please start the signature process at least 1 week before the agency deadline. Signatures for grants submitted after the suggested times cannot be guaranteed.
Application packages must be complete (all sections completed and all supporting documentation attached); incomplete applications cannot be approved/signed.
All research project applications must include a Research Project Information Form, to be signed by the following individuals in the listed order:
- Principal Investigator (must hold a full-time faculty appointment at UBC)
- Department Head/School Director
- Centre Director (if funding will be administered by the Centre, or using Centre space/resources)
- Faculty of Medicine Dean, Research
- Director, Office of Research Services
Please note that the Principal Investigator is the only signature that does NOT have an alternative signing authority. In the event that the Department Head or Centre/School Director is not available, please refer to the
Signing Authority Sheet for alternatives.
Faculty approval for salary award applications must be sent to Bryan Wong, Grant Applications Officer, at the Dean's Office located on UBC Point Grey campus at 317-2194 Health Sciences Mall (Woodward IRC Building).
All other applications are signed by the Associate Dean, Research, at your site. The signature contacts are listed in the table below. Please note that the signature process may differ between sites; be sure to click on your respective Link to confirm.
|BC Cancer Agency||Karen Hagan*||604-675-8251|
|Dr. Francois Benard||
|BC Children's Hospital Research Institute & Women's Health Research Institute||Nur Eisma*||604-875-2427|
|Dr. Wyeth Wasserman||
|Providence Health Care Research Institute||Gwen Sin*||604-806-9102|
|Dr. Paul Man||
|UBC Point Grey & BC Centre for Disease Control||Bryan Wong||604-822-7207|
|Dr. Robert McMaster (Interim)|| |
|Vancouver Coastal Health Care Research Institute||Kristin Rasmussen*||604-675-2564|
|Dr. Robert McMaster||
|*Signature contact is also the Office of Research Services contact for the respective site.|
Signature Process for Postdocs, Clinical Fellows, and Students
In general, trainee funding applications will require a signature for one of two reasons:
- To confirm institutional funding and support for the research expenses OR
- To confirm program enrolment/credentials (or good standing)
1. If you require a signature to confirm institutional funding and support
Please follow the normal signature process outlined above. Note that all applications requiring the Dean’s signature must be accompanied by the
required documents. According to Policy 87, UBC research accounts will not be opened for students; therefore, as a trainee, your grant funds must be managed by your supervisor. Your supervisor should be listed on the Research Project Information Form (RPIF) as the UBC PI. Your name should be listed as the trainee in section B of the RPIF.
2. If you require a signature to confirm enrolment/credentials
- Postdoctoral and Clinical Fellows: contact your program office or departmental/school administrator.
- Graduate Students: Contact your Graduate Program Assistant.
- MD students: VFMP students (or students currently in Vancouver) should contact the Student Affairs Administrative Assistant at 604-875-4111 x61979 or
firstname.lastname@example.org. IMP, NMP and SMP students should contact your local Student Affairs Coordinator to have your application signed by the Associate or Assistant Dean, Student Affairs at your location. Please note that Student Affairs requests that applications be submitted 5 business days in advance of the granting agency’s deadline to allow adequate time for credential confirmation, letter preparation and signatures. Signatures for grants submitted after this time cannot be guaranteed.
- Non-MD students: contact your program office.