Learn about UBC's easy to use, supported and free content management system (CMS).
WordPress Content Management System (CMS)
The Faculty of Medicine, in partnership with Centre for Teaching, Learning & Technology (CTLT), offers a service called CMS at UBC Faculty of Medicine, which provides sites based on the WordPress open-source content management system.
It is easy to use, centrally supported and free. The service is intended for external or public-facing sites of operational units operated by members of the Faculty of Medicine. The Faculty's website med.ubc.ca is hosted on this platform.
The Faculty encourages and supports the WordPress CMS as a web publishing platform for operational units.
- It's free
- Easy to use — you can concentrate on content rather than technical support and maintenance
- The UBC CLF comes pre-installed and out-of-the-box
- Provides the UBC Common Look and Feel to a site by default
- Optional features and plugins are available to add functionality to a site (e.g., faculty profiles and RSS feeds)
- It's integrated with other UBC services such as campus-wide login (CWL) and UBC Events
- Allows the ability to easily roll out and widely distribute security updates, patches, bug fixes, and new features for the CLF
- Regular training and online resources to support content contributors and site owners are available
To request a website:
Please complete our website request form or email the Communications Office. For more information, visit http://cms.med.ubc.ca/.
Note: The WordPress CMS offering currently comes pre-installed with the UBC Common Look and Feel template and a UBC subdomain which may not be applicable to Faculty of Medicine units operated in partnership.
Difference: CMS vs Blogs
UBC Blogs is an university hosted weblogging platform designed to provide free individual or group webspace for the UBC community. Click here for the differences between the UBC CMS and UBC Blogs.
The Faculty of Medicine Communications Team provides regular training sessions to learn how to use UBC’s hosted WordPress service. To find the next scheduled session and to register, visit the Faculty's WordPress CMS
The Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT) offers regular one-on-one WordPress clinics every Thursday from 1 to 3 pm at the CTLT offices in Irving K. Barber Learning Centre
. Please sign-up
online to attend a clinic.