Find frequently asked questions about the Faculty's Voice and Data Usage Policy.
Currently, the Faculty of Medicine Dean’s Office provides approximately 120 mobile phone devices to administrative staff and faculty for work-related uses. Plans are paid directly by the Faculty, and faculty and staff have a choice between two BlackBerry models. The Dean’s Office also reimburses approximately 25 people for their personal devices used for business, up to the $56 monthly plan amount currently offered by the Faculty’s plan provider.
The Dean’s Office is consolidating these options and adopting a Voice and Data Usage Policy. Approved employees are added to the Faculty’s Voice and Data Plan which fully covers reasonable business usage.
This change means:
- You can choose a $0 device or cover the one-time expense (if applicable) to upgrade to a device of your choice under the approved plan.
- You can only contract with the Faculty’s Voice & Data Plan, which offers very competitive rates and coverage.
- Ownership of the phone is transferred to you.
- Any costs associated with loss or damage of a phone will be your responsibility, and you are responsible for any replacement or repair costs to their phone.
Upon successful implementation in the Dean’s Office, the Policy will be expanded to the rest of the Faculty.
Why is it changing?
During the past year, there has been increased demand from faculty and staff for different devices and the flexibility and convenience of choice. This policy provides flexibility in phone choices while maintaining the portable electronic device security needs of the Faculty and University.
What are the benefits?
You are no longer restricted to a BlackBerry device. Approved faculty and staff can now select the device of their choice under the Faculty’s approved plan, which offers very competitive rates and coverage.
What does it mean to you (faculty and staff)?
- There should be little to no financial impact on individuals.
- The device belongs to you.
- You can use the device of your choice.
- You can choose a $0 device or upgrade to a device of your choice.
- The plan is the Faculty’s.
- You can only contract with the Faculty’s Office Voice & Data Plan, which offers very competitive rates and coverage.
- You will be responsible for reimbursing the Faculty for any charges above and beyond the approved plan incurred as a result of personal usage.
- Roaming and long distance usage beyond any pre-approved amount is your responsibility and must be reimbursed to the Faculty.
- You are responsible for breakage and loss of your device -- the Faculty will no longer facilitate repair or replacement of devices.
What are my options?
Approved faculty and staff members have four options:
- Continue with your current Faculty-supplied device, contract, and number. In this case, no further action is required.
- Upgrade your current device. Complete the Hardware/Software Order Form for a list of options and to request an upgrade. Employees wishing to upgrade their device will be personally responsible for the upgrade cost (if applicable).
- Transfer your personal contract and number to the Faculty’s plan, when your current contract expires.
- Carry two devices: one supplied and paid for by the Dean’s Office for business use, and one supplied and paid for by you for your personal use.
When do I have to decide?
Faculty and staff currently using personal plans for business use will transition to the Faculty’s plan provider as their current personal plans expire. Faculty and staff who wish to transfer the contract early may do so, but any expenses incurred will be their responsibility.
What do I need to do?
If you are currently being reimbursed for all or part of your personal plan to compensate for business use of your mobile phone, you will need to transfer to the Faculty’s plan when your current personal contract expires. To transfer your personal plan, email email@example.com.
You may also choose to continue with your personal provider for personal use at your own expense, and have an additional phone under the Faculty’s plan provider for business use.
If I am transferring my personal plan to the Faculty’s plan, can I keep the same phone number?
Yes, you can choose whether or not to transfer your current number.
I don’t want my personal cell number to become my work cell number. What choices do I have?
You have the option of carry two devices – one personal and one work. However, only the work device will qualify for Faculty coverage.
Will my phone number be listed in a directory?
If you are using a phone funded through the Dean’s Office, the Faculty of Medicine will have the right to list the phone number in the UBC Faculty & Administrative Directory or other contact lists for work-related purposes.
What if I want to use my personal plan rather than transfer my plan to the Faculty?
You will need to provide justification with the Dean’s authorization, and will then be reimbursed for your actual plan expense up to the pre-approved usage profile. You will need to request reimbursement on a quarterly basis (every three months) submitting your monthly bills with a Q-requisition to the appropriate Cluster Finance Services team.
What service provider does the Dean’s Office use?
The Faculty’s Voice & Data Plan is currently with Rogers, which offers very competitive rates and coverage.
Can I use my phone for personal use under the Faculty’s plan?
Personal use of devices and plans that does not incur additional charges to the Dean’s Office is acceptable. Employees will be responsible for reimbursing the Dean’s Office for any charges above and beyond the approved plan incurred as a result of personal usage.
How do I order a device?
Complete the UBC Faculty of Medicine Voice & Data Plan Acknowledgement and the Hardware/Software Order Form.
How do I upgrade my current device?
Under the Faculty’s plan, faculty and staff will be eligible to upgrade their device. Faculty and staff wishing to upgrade their device will be personally responsible for the upgrade cost (if applicable).
To request an upgrade of your current Faculty paid device, complete the Hardware/Software Order Form.
How do I request coverage on the Faculty’s Plan for a new faculty or staff member?
To receive coverage under the new Voice & Data Usage Policy, the Employee Acknowledgement & Cost Centre Approval form must be completed and the faculty or staff member’s direct supervisor and/or senior leader or supervisor must provide approval signatures.
Do I qualify for coverage?
Authorization of the UBC Faculty of Medicine Voice & Data Plan Acknowledgement must ensure sufficient funding is available in the department’s operating budget, and justification must include one of the following:
- The faculty or staff member frequently works offsite and it is critical that they be accessible while away from their normal work area.
- The faculty or staff member must frequently be accessible outside normal work hours.
Faculty and staff who do not qualify for coverage under the Faculty’s plan can be compensated for necessary business-related phone calls and additional roaming charges incurred on their personal mobile phone if an invoice, documentation on the nature of the call and approval are provided.
Can I add an international roaming package for business or personal use?
Yes. You can request pre-approval from your supervisor and/or Project/Grant signing authority to be reimbursed for a reasonably sufficient travel roaming add-on package for the duration of the trip. Any overage beyond what is pre-approved is the responsibility of the device owner.
How do I set up my UBC email on my new phone?
UBC IT provides instructions for setting up email on your phones at the links below.
For additional support, email the MedIT Service Desk.
What are the security policy requirements?
UBC IT security policies apply to the use of mobile devices. UBC IT security policies are found here: Security Policies. Additional policies are described in the first section of each of the set-up guides found at the locations below.
What do I do if my device is lost or stolen?
If your device is lost or stolen you should perform a remote wipe by using Outlook Web Access (OWA) following the instructions found here FASmail: How to Wipe a Mobile Device via OWA (Outlook Web Access).
If you have questions regarding the remote wipe please contact the MedIT Service Desk.
Lost or stolen devices should also be reported promptly to the Purchasing Coordinator.
What happens if my device is “wiped” either because I forgot my PIN code or because I lost the device then found it?
When the device is wiped it is restored to factory default settings and all data is removed. You can then restore the device from your most recent back-up following the manufacturer’s instructions. It is your responsibility, and good practice, to back-up your device regularly. The method for doing this is device-specific. For additional support, email the MedIT Service Desk.
What happens if I leave the Faculty of Medicine?
If you leave the Faculty we may perform a remote wipe of your device for security and privacy reasons. If we do this, we will attempt to contact you first. Once the wipe is complete you can restore from a back-up. UBC IT email, calendar, and contact information will not be restored unless you have an active UBC IT account.
If you leave the Faculty of Medicine, you have three options:
- Keep the device and transfer your number to a personal account. You are responsible for any additional fees incurred
- Staying with Rogers – no additional fees to transfer
- Moving to another Provider - There will be an early cancellation fee charged by Rogers if your contract has not yet expired.
- Keep the device and cancel the contract and number. If your contract has not expired, you are required to pay the early cancellation fee (For example: $15/month X # of months left on contract).
- Return the device, so the plan and phone number can be transferred to another employee.