Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of this advisory council is to:
- Advise the Dean on matters related to Clinical Faculty members.
- Engage representatives of the Clinical Faculty community from across the province and across Faculty of Medicine programs to enhance the vital partnership between Clinical Faculty and the Faculty of Medicine.
- Provide a multi-way communication forum among Clinical Faculty representatives and the Faculty of Medicine.
- Facilitate interprofessional collaboration among Clinical Faculty representatives from across the Faculty of Medicine's programs.
- Assist the Clinical Faculty Affairs function through advice to the Director, Clinical Faculty Affairs.
This advisory council is made up of ex officio, appointed, and elected members.
The Faculty of Medicine's commitment to equitable and diverse membership on its committees and advisory councils guides its nomination and selection process.
- Director, Clinical Faculty Affairs (chair) (1)
- Executive Director, Faculty Affairs (1)
- One clinical faculty member from each of the following (20)
- Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Department of Dermatology & Skin Science
- Department of Emergency Medicine
- Department of Family Practice, MD Programs
- Department of Family Practice, Midwifery Program
- Department of Medical Genetics
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
- Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science
- Department of Orthopaedics
- Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
- Department of Pediatrics
- Department of Physical Therapy
- Department of Psychiatry
- Department of Radiology
- Department of Surgery
- Department of Urologic Sciences
- School of Audiology and Speech Sciences
- School of Population and Public Health
- Two clinical Department Heads/School Directors or designates (2)
- One member from the Island Medical Program (1)
- One member from the Northern Medical Program (1)
- One member from the Southern Medical Program (1)
- One member from the Vancouver Fraser Medical Program (1)
Guests may be invited to join specific meetings or portions of specific meetings at the chair's discretion.
Ex officio members are members by virtue of their administrative appointment.
Appointed regional medical program representatives are appointed by their Regional Associate Dean through the annual process initiated by the Dean's Office.
Appointed clinical Department Heads/School Directors are appointed by the Dean through the annual process initiated by the Dean's Office.
Elected members are elected by their peers through the annual process initiated by the Dean's Office.
Ex officio members are members as long as they hold their administrative appointment.
Appointed members are members for a three-year term and are eligible for renewal.
Elected members are members for a three-year term and are eligible for renewal.
Chaired by the Director, Clinical Faculty Affairs.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Normally meets approximately every two months and at the call of the chair.
All members are expected to attend all meetings in person or via videoconference or phone.
A staff member from the Office of Clinical Faculty Affairs will capture meeting minutes. Minutes will be circulated to all members.
Minutes of meetings are confidential and are retained by the Office of Clinical Faculty Affairs.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and
Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Meetings will normally be cancelled if fewer than half of members can attend.
This advisory council provides advice based on the input of all members. Members typically reach consensus on that advice, but may convey multiple perspectives if consensus does not emerge.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
This advisory council:
- Provides advice to the Dean.
- Provides an annual report summarizing the year's activities to the Faculty Executive Committee.
- Serves as a communication forum between Clinical Faculty members and the Faculty of Medicine.
- Seeks input from the Department Heads and School Directors Committee, as appropriate.
Representatives of this advisory council liaise with other academic and administrative committees and advisory councils, as needed.
This advisory council:
- Represents the interests of Clinical Faculty across the province.
- Works to foster and promote career development initiatives and opportunities for Clinical Faculty.
- Identifies issues of concern to Clinical Faculty and to develop and recommend actions to address.
- Supports the interprofessional mandate of the Faculty of Medicine by hearing and considering perspectives from all Faulty of Medicine programs.
- Communicates information on relevant Faculty of Medicine initiatives to Clinical Faculty members in their Departments/Schools/Programs.
- Discusses academic and administrative changes arising in the Faculty of Medicine, considers the potential impacts of them on Clinical Faculty, and gathers input from Clinical Faculty regarding that potential impact.
This version of these terms of reference has been approved by the Faculty Executive Committee on September 26, 2017, and by the Faculty of Medicine (Full Faculty) on November 14, 2017.
The terms of reference for the former Clinical Faculty Affairs Committee were approved by Faculty Executive on:
- March 17, 2015
- November 18, 2014
- May 9, 2009