Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of this advisory council is to:
- Advise the Assistant Dean, Faculty Development (FD) and the Regional FD Directors.
- Advise the Professional Education Committee on FD activities related to professional education initiatives.
- Provide a forum for collaboration and information sharing across FD sites and domains.
- Respond to the needs of faculty within the Faculty of Medicine as both consumers and deliverers of FD.
- Enable communication of FD information among Undergraduate Medical Education and Postgraduate Medical Education and Departments/Schools/Divisions.
- Support Departments, Schools, and Divisions in their FD mandates.
This advisory council is made up of ex officio and appointed members.
The Faculty of Medicine's commitment to equitable and diverse membership on its committees and advisory councils guides its nomination and selection process.
- Assistant Dean, FD (chair) (1)
- Associate Director, FD (1)
- Regional FD Directors from each site (4)
- FD Lead, Family Practice Postgraduate Residency Program (1)
- Four Regional FD Representatives, one from each site (4)
- One Family Practice FD Representative (1)
- One Faculty Project Lead, FD (1)
Guests may be invited to join specific meetings or portions of specific meetings at the chair's discretion.
Ex officio members are members by virtue of their administrative appointment.
Appointed members are appointed by the Assistant Dean, FD, in consultation with the Regional FD Directors, as appropriate.
Ex officio members are members as long as they hold their administrative appointment.
Appointed members are members as long as they hold the position of FD representative within their Site/Department.
Chaired by the Assistant Dean, FD.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Normally meets approximately four times per year and at the call of the chair, generally in early fall, early-winter, mid-winter, and in late-spring.
All members are expected to attend all meetings in person or via videoconference or phone.
A staff member from the Office of FD will capture meeting minutes. Minutes will be circulated to all members.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Meetings will normally be cancelled if fewer than half of members can attend.
This advisory council provides advice based on the input of all members. Members typically reach consensus on that advice, but may convey multiple perspectives if consensus does not emerge.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
This advisory council:
- Provides advice to the Assistant Dean, FD and the Regional FD Directors.
- Provides advice to the Professional Education Committee regarding FD.
- Supports Departments, Schools and Divisions in their mandates for FD.
Representatives of this advisory council liaise with other academic and administrative committees and advisory councils, as needed.
This advisory council:
- Provides input into FD policies and programs.
- Responds to the needs of faculty as both consumers and deliverers of FD.
- Enables members to act as liaisons between the Advisory Council and the faculty members of their respective regional sites/departments.
- Provides a venue where members are updated on FD programs and issues so that members may convey that knowledge to their regional sites/departments.
- Provides a forum for discussion of diverse, programmatic, and contextual needs related to FD.
- Provides an opportunity for members to discuss emerging FD issues of mutual interest as well as identify synergistic opportunities to work together.
- Provides information and description related to FD programs required by accreditation.
- Reviews its terms of reference on an annual basis and recommends changes to the Assistant Dean, Faculty Development and the Professional Education Committee, as needed.
This version of these terms of reference have been approved by the Assistant Dean, FD on March 28, 2018.