Terms of Reference
In the UBC Faculty of Medicine, the MD Undergraduate Program (MDUP) is distributed across four regional sites. The management of the Program is therefore complex and requires a governance model that allows it to function effectively and efficiently with contributions and participation from all sites. The authority for the strategic leadership of the distributed program is vested with the four Regional Associate Deans (RADs) who work together regularly with the Executive Associate Dean (EAD), Education and the Senior Director, Education Programs and Services as the MD Undergraduate Executive.
The purpose of the Undergraduate Medical Education Executive (UMEX) is to provide strategic leadership, and executive oversight for the distributed MD Undergraduate Program (MDUP), with a particular focus on resource, risk and accreditation issues as well as those issues that extend beyond the authority of any particular Associate Dean, and to bring these issues when required to the attention of Faculty Executive.
The UMEX has the authority to oversee the strategic planning, policy development, resource allocation and direction of the distributed MDUP.
Executive Associate Dean, Education
Regional Associate Dean, Interior
Regional Associate Dean, Northern BC
Regional Associate Dean, Vancouver Fraser
Regional Associate Dean, Vancouver Island
Senior Director, Education Programs and Services (non-voting)
All members are ex officio.
Since all members are ex officio, their term of office on UMEX is the same as their term in their other position.
The members shall select a Chair and a Vice Chair on a two year rotating basis.
The UMEX shall meet once a month for an all-day face-to-face meeting, once a month between the all-day meeting for three hours by videoconference and at the call of the Chair. The face-to-face meetings may be held at least once per year at each distributed site.
The Coordinator, Office of the EAD, Education shall provide administrative support to UMEX.
Quorum and Decision Making Processes
A quorum shall consist of a simple majority of the members. Decisions will normally be made by consensus, but if a vote is required, UMEX shall decide questions on the basis of a simple majority of members present.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
- UMEX reports to Faculty Executive.
- UMEX submits annual budget recommendations to the Distributed Program Planning Committee (DPPC).
- The MD Undergraduate Education Committee (MDUEC) reports to UMEX. MDUEC is the senior committee responsible for making decisions regarding the MDUP. It does not have responsibility for resource allocation therefore, prior to making decisions MDUEC has to work closely with UMEX in determining the risk and resource implications of any decisions. UMEX determines, with MDUEC, the potential risks and resource implications of proposed decisions, to advise modifications of proposals and recommendations and to allocate resources strategically.
- Receives relevant annual reports.
- Provides the common vision and oversees the strategic planning, policy development, implementation and management of the distributed MDUP.
- Provides financial leadership and resource management for the distributed MDUP.
- Ensures that the MDUP meets accreditation standards; oversees the development of accreditation documentation and preparation for internal and external accreditation reviews.
- Establishes a process for regular identification and resolution of key risks; oversees the development of contingency plans; ensures a structure is in place for communicating and resolving areas of risk with the appropriate internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensures that there is a communications strategy in place that allows MDUP stakeholders easy and timely access to pertinent program information.
- Makes recommendations to Faculty Executive on any policy changes that require Faculty Executive and/or Senate approval, eg. changes affecting Calendar entries.
- Receives, reviews, and endorses recommendations from the chair of MDUEC (and its subcommittees) which require Faculty Executive approval.
- Receives and examines from a resource perspective recommendations from MDUEC.
- Recieves and approves an annual report from MDUEC prior to submission to Faculty Executive.
- Works with the Chairs of MDUEC, the Admissions Subcommittees, and the Student Affairs Subcommittee to facilitate the effectiveness of these committees by determining resource requirements and allocating resources as required to enable them to achieve their goals.
- Jointly oversees the work of the Assistant Dean of Curriculum, and the Director of Assessment through the Regional Associate Dean, Vancouver Fraser.
- Encourages and fosters innovation in the MDUP and the dissemination of related data and findings.
- Reviews the UMEX Terms of Reference on an annual basis in June and recommends changes as required to Faculty Executive.
Approved by MDUREX January 8, 2013
Approved by MDUREX July 9, 2013
Approved by MDUREX June 24, 2014
Approved by MDUREX February 24, 2015
Approved by Faculty Executive March 17, 2015
Revised ToR approved by MDUREX: July 28, 2015
Received by Faculty Executive: September 15, 2015
Updated October 2015