Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of this committee is to:
- Recommend to the Dean candidates to fill vacancies on the Faculty of Medicine's major standing committees.
This committee is made up of elected and appointed members.
The Faculty of Medicine's commitment to equitable and diverse membership on its committees and advisory councils guides its nomination and selection process.
- Four members of the Faculty, two scientists and two clinicians (4)
Elected members are elected by the Faculty through the annual process initiated by the Dean's Office.
Appointed members are appointed by the Dean through the annual process initiated by the Dean's Office.
Elected members are members for a three-year term.
Appointed members are members for a three-year term.
Chaired by a committee member who is elected chair by the committee members.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Normally meets approximately once a year in the spring and at the call of the chair.
All members are expected to attend all meetings in person or via videoconference.
A staff member from the Dean's Office will capture meeting minutes. Minutes are confidential and retained by the chair.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and
Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Quorum consists of 50% plus one of voting members.
Decisions are made by vote, requiring 50% plus one of voting members present to pass.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
- Reports and makes recommendations to the Dean.
- Provides the Dean with a brief written annual report to be presented at Full Faculty, usually in November.
- Recommends to the Dean eligible and willing candidates to fill vacancies on the Faculty's major standing committees on an annual basis.
- Recommends to the Dean eligible and willing candidates to fill committee vacancies arising mid-term or to fill positions on newly constituted or ad hoc committees within the Faculty, if requested.
- Recommends to the Dean eligible and willing candidates to serve as representatives to other Faculties, if requested.
- Adheres to the
FoM General Responsibilities of Standing Committees.
This version of these terms of reference has been approved by the Faculty Executive Committee on September 26, 2017, and by the Faculty of Medicine (Full Faculty) on November 14, 2017.
- Approved by Faculty Executive on November 18, 2014.