Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of this advisory council is to:
- Monitor overall curricular content, sequencing, spiralling, and integration, and advise the UGME Committee, the Years 1&2 Curriculum Subcommittee, and the Years 3&4 Curriculum Subcommittee accordingly.
This advisory council is made up of ex officio and appointed members.
The Faculty of Medicine's commitment to equitable and diverse membership on its committees and advisory councils guides its nomination and selection process.
- Director, Curriculum (chair) (1)
- Associate Director, Curriculum, Years 1&2 (vice-chair) (1)
- Associate Director, Curriculum, Years 3&4 (vice-chair) (1)
- Associate Dean, UGME (1)
- Director, Evaluation Studies Unit (or designate) (1)
- Assistant Deans, NMP, SMP, IMP, VFMP, or delegate (4)
- Lead, Clinical Experiences Integration (1 shared by two individuals)
- Faculty Lead, Curriculum Management Unit (1)
- Faculty Lead, Case Based Learning (1)
Guests may be invited to join specific meetings or portions of specific meetings at the chair's discretion.
Ex officio members are members by virtue of their administrative appointment.
The appointed student member is appointed by the Medical Undergraduate Society (MUS) upon request from the Faculty of Medicine.
Ex officio members are members as long as they hold their administrative appointment.
The appointed student is a member for a one-year term and is eligible for renewal.
Chaired by the Director, Curriculum, Undergraduate Medical Education.
For matters specific to Years 1&2, the Associate Director, Curriculum, Years 1&2 will act as vice-chair, and for matters specific to Years 3&4, the Associate Director, Curriculum, Years 3&4 will act as vice-chair.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Normally meets approximately every month and at the call of the chair.
All members are expected to attend all meetings in person or via videoconference or phone.
A staff member from the UGME Program Office will capture meeting minutes. Minutes will be circulated to all members, as well as to the Associate Dean, Undergraduate Medical Education and the President, Medical Undergraduate Society.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Meetings will normally be cancelled if fewer than half of members can attend.
This advisory council provides advice based on the input of all members. Members typically reach consensus on that advice, but may convey multiple perspectives if consensus does not emerge.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
This advisory council:
- Collaborates with and advises the Years 1&2 and Years 3&4 Curriculum Subcommittees.
- Advises the UGME Committee if there is a disagreement that cannot be resolved in a timely manner.
- Reports to the UGME Committee on an annual basis.
- Liaises with other individuals, units, and committees/subcommittees to gather information to inform advice, as needed.
Representatives of this advisory council liaise with other academic and administrative committees and advisory councils, as needed.
This advisory council:
- Provides advice to support responsible committees and individuals in ensuring that:
- The curriculum functions effectively as a whole without unintended gaps or redundancies, and
- All content areas, including core clinical presentations, themes, systems, and clinical experiences, are effectively integrated and spiralled within and across sites, courses, and academic periods of study.
- Reviews the curriculum map as well as proposals regarding the curriculum from the UGME Committee, Year 1&2 Curriculum Subcommittee, and Years 3&4 Curriculum Subcommittee and provides advice for improving content integration and spiralling, as needed to meet exit competencies (medical education program objectives).
- Conducts activities as delegated by the UGME Committee, as needed.
- Reviews its terms of reference on an annual basis (typically in June) and recommends updates to the UGME Committee, as needed.
This version of these terms of reference has been approved by the UGME Committee on January 15, 2018.
- Approved by the Undergraduate Medical Education Committee on January 15, 2018.
- Additional membership (Associate Dean UGME and Director ESU) added January 15, 2018.
- Approved by the MD Undergraduate Education Committee (MDUEC) on November 20, 2017.