Terms of Reference
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of the Regional Student Promotions Subcommittees for IMP, NMP, SMP, and VFMP are to:
- Recommend to the Student Promotion and Review Board advancement, promotion, graduation, assignment of Academic Standing, and adding Professionalism notations on students' Medical Student Performance Records.
- Oversee and review its students' academic performances.
- Ensure the provision of academic support.
- Assist the Student Promotion and Review Board (SPRB) by performing delegated tasks pertaining to its students (see Responsibilities section)
This subcommittee is made up of ex officio and appointed members.
The Faculty of Medicine's commitment to equitable and diverse membership on its committees and advisory councils guides its nomination and selection process.
IMP, NMP, SMP
- Four Departmental Clerkship Directors (4)
IMP, NMP, SMP
- Student Academic Development Subcommittee Chair(s)
- Assistant or Associate Dean, Student Affairs
- Regional Assessment Administrator(s)
Guests may be invited to join specific meetings or portions of specific meetings at the chair's discretion. For example:
- Integrated Community Clerkship (ICC) Site Directors
- Discipline Specific Site Leaders
- Year 3 Clerkship Directors
Ex officio members are members by virtue of their administrative appointment.
Appointed members are appointed by the Regional Associate Dean.
Ex officio are members as long as they hold their administrative appointment.
Appointed members are members for a two-year term and are eligible for renewal at the discretion of the chair and with consent of the subcommittee members.
Chaired by the local Regional Associate Dean, or delegate.
Meeting Schedule and Administration
Meets as soon as possible following mid-term, end-of-term, end of Year 3 Blocks, following designated supplemental assessment periods, and at the call of the chair.
All members are expected to attend all meetings in person or via videoconference or phone.
The assistant to the chair will capture meeting minutes. Minutes will be circulated to all members.
Members shall keep minutes and meeting proceedings confidential. Members shall shred/destroy all documentation that contains personal information and may not retain minutes or other documents containing personal information on a personal computer or device.
Records will be maintained in accordance with UBC and Faculty of Medicine records retention procedures.
Quorum and Decision Making Process
Quorum consists of 50% plus one of voting members.
Decisions are made by vote, requiring 50% plus one of voting members present to vote in favour to pass, excluding blanks or abstentions.
In the event of a tie, the chair shall cast the deciding vote.
In exceptional circumstances, voting may be conducted electronically while ensuring strict confidentiality and security.
Lines of Accountability and Communication
- Is accountable to and makes recommendations to the Student Promotions and Review Board (SPRB).
- Provides Minutes and a summary report of decisions to the SPRB after every meeting.
This subcommittee, for its students:
- Reviews academic performances regularly (SPRB delegated).
- Assigns course grades, and reports the grades to the SPRB (SPRB delegated).
- Consults or refers to the SPRB decisions involving situations not clearly defined by course policies or that are otherwise complex.
- Grants supplemental assessments (SPRB delegated).
- Judges and manages professionalism performance deficits within or across courses, and reports persistent and/or serious unprofessional behaviour to the SPRB.
- Approves the re-entry point and Academic Plans for Leaves of Absence less than one year, when no major curriculum adjustments are required and there are no complex circumstances; and approves the Return to Training (RTT) requirement (SPRB delegated).
- Provides to the SPRB for approval the re-entry point and proposed Academic Plans for re-entry, if Leave of Absence is greater than one year or if there are complex circumstances.
- Makes recommendations to the SPRB regarding advancement, promotion, graduation, assignment of Academic Standing and adding professionalism notations on students' Medical Student Performance Records.
- Directs the Student Academic Development Subcommittee (SADS) to develop remediation plans.
- Reviews its terms of reference on an annual basis and recommends updates to the Student Promotion and Review Board.
This version of these terms of reference has been approved by the Undergraduate Medical Education Committee on January 21, 2019.
- Approved by the Undergraduate Medical Education Committee on January 21, 2019.
- Approved by the Undergraduate Medical Education Committee on March 19, 2018.
- Approved by the MD Undergraduate Education Committee on October 16, 2017.
- Updated on September 19, 2017.
- Updated on July 18, 2016.
- Approved by the MD Undergraduate Education Committee on August 17, 2015.