Start up funding is available for new recruits in the Faculty of Medicine. Up to $10,000 may be awarded.
June 15, 2018
Applicants must be in the first two years of a full-time faculty appointment as Assistant Professor and higher, or a Clinical faculty appointment as Clinical Assistant Professor and higher in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of British Columbia.
Previous awardees of UBC Faculty of Medicine Start Up Funds, and applicants who have received $200,000 or more in Start Up Funds from other sources, are ineligible.
Criteria for Use of Funds
Research equipment and supplies, research services, research support salaries/stipends, and dissemination of research results are eligible expenses. Travel and subsistence costs are not eligible.
A maximum of $10,000 will be awarded to successful applicants.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee composed of Faculty members within the Faculty of Medicine. Applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Potential and quality of the proposed research
- Proposed use and impact of the funds
- Applicant's time devoted to research
- Scholarly productivity considered in the context of the applicant's career stage
- Applicant's competitiveness for external funding
A complete application package includes:
- UBC CV (including publication list)
Please email complete application packages to
June 15, 2018
For any questions regarding this award, please email