Find information, resources and tasks to help guide your way through the Faculty of Medicine (FoM) upon your arrival. While this page is meant as a guide for all FoM faculty and staff, it is understood that each office is unique. Please be sure to follow the established procedures within your office.
- Download the New Employee Checklist to keep track of what you’ve covered.
- Review the UBC Workplace Safety Orientation with your manager and make arrrangements to complete any necessary coures.
- Complete the workplace bullying and harassment training and submit the completion certificate to the HR Coordinator in your department.
“Toward a Respectful Workplace – Preventing and Addressing Workplace Bullying & Harassment”, a 15 – 20 minute online video session is at:http://bullyingandharassment.ubc.ca/training-events/
- Before your Faculty of Medicine and UBC computer accounts are set up, please review the “IT Responsible Use Guidelines” with your manager and sign the “IT Usage Agreement” form. Return the signed form to your hiring manager; it will be kept in your HR employee record.
- Create your Campus-Wide Login (CWL) ID to access UBC’s online applications including Workday and FASmail. You must know your UBC employee number and CWL PIN code, both of which should have been sent to you. If you don’t know or have not received them, please contact your unit HR administrator.
- After your CWL ID is activated, please contact your IT support group to have your UBC FASmail (e-mail) account created. Email signatures must conform to university guidelines.
- Your office administrator will e-mail your phone voicemail PIN to you. Please change the password and record an appropriate greeting/message.
Around the office
- Please review applicable forms and guidelines for your location: For Staff ; For Faculty/Senior Leaders.
- Please also be aware of UBC’s policies and guidelines.
- If your duties include the use of other FoM/UBC systems (e.g. HRMS, FMS), please complete the access forms.
- Please contact the office coordinator or administrator, or your department assistant to order office supplies and have a mail slot assigned.
- Your office administrator can also help with key requisition forms, alarm codes, and phone issues.
- Please ask your manager or director about ordering business cards.
- Read a list of commonly-used abbreviations and what they mean
MedNet is your one-stop shop for the Faculty information, forms, procedures, services, contacts and how-to’s.
As you begin to use MedNet, you will find up-to-date resources all in one centralized, easy to find location related to: HR, Finance, Purchasing, Communications, Facilities, and IT.
For example find forms and procedures for:
- Faculty appointments;
- Hardware and software purchases;
- Business cards;
- Room bookings;
- Videoconferencing; and much more.
About the Faculty of Medicine
- Meet the Dean and his Executive Team
- Read about our organization
- Learn about our governance model, our Strategic Plan, and read facts & figures
- Find out about our Health Authority partners, Clinical Academic Campuses and Affiliated Regional Centres
- Campus Security & Emergency Contacts
- Department/School Administrator or HR Advisor in the Faculty of Medicine
- FoM General office: Dean’s Office Reception
- MedIT Service Desk
- UBC Directory
Payroll and Benefits
- Enroll in payroll, benefits, and pension packages for new employees. Please have a copy of your offer letter with you as some details from it are needed. Your document package also includes your payroll deposit forms. Please complete, print, sign and submit these forms to UBC Human Resources as soon as possible.
- Find courses, programs, workshops, recognition and funding opportunities to support your career and professional development.
- Contact your UBC Human Resources representative.
- Contact UBC Faculty Relations about resources for faculty.
- Contact the Payroll office directly if you have any questions.
- Contact the Benefits office directly if you have any questions
- Read your Collective Agreements or Handbooks online.
FoM News and Events
- See a sample of what’s happening on our Calendar of Events
- Get connected by following us on Twitter, YouTube, and reading our Medicine Magazine
- Stay up-to-date on information about UBC, the Faculty and its units by reading our monthly e-newsletter – “The Link“
- Stay connected with news and updates from UBC Human Resources.
- About UBC
- Get a UBCcard from the UBC Bookstore – please know your employee number and bring picture ID with you. This card has a variety of uses throughout the campus.
- Learn more about Health & Safety Programs.
- Learn more about Health & Wellness initiatives.
- Campus Commuting and Transportation Planning: links are provided for the major campus sites; those at hospital sites should contact their office administrator about available commuting options.
- If you are new to UBC, please consider registering for one of UBC HR’s Orientation sessions.
- If you are also new to Vancouver, UBC HR provides information and resources about relocating if you have questions with settling in/adjusting to life in BC.