As a new staff member, we realize the importance of helping you to feel welcomed, connected, equipped and settled as you begin your role within the Faculty of Medicine and with the University. In support of this, the Orientation area of our site has been developed with you in mind.
Please take a moment to visit the following, keeping in mind that the site is continually growing with new information. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. We’re here to help.
- Your first days at UBC
- Download the New Employee Checklist to keep track of what you’ve covered.
- Review the “Mandatory Training for all UBC Workers” with your manager and make arrangements to complete all necessary courses.
- Review the UBC-IT Information Security & Usage Policies.
- Activate your Campus-Wide Login (CWL) ID to access UBC’s online applications including Workday and FASMail. An email was sent to you with a link for the activation. You must know your UBC employee number and CWL PIN code, both of which should have been sent to you. If you don’t know or have not received them, please contact your unit HR administrator.
- After your CWL ID is activated, please contact your IT support group to have your UBC FASMail (e-mail) account created. Email signatures must follow university guidelines.
- Your office administrator will e-mail your phone voicemail PIN and instructions to you. Please change the password and record an appropriate greeting/message.
Around the office
MedNet is your “one-stop shop” for faculty information, forms, procedures, contacts, and how-to’s. Some of the more common services & resources are listed below. Many more can be found using the broad heading or the search engine at the top of this page. Note that “Team Sites” are password-protected. Please contact your supervisor if you require access.
- Please be aware of the Faculty of Medicine’s policies & guidelines
- Please also be aware of UBC’s policies & guidelines.
- Please discuss with your supervisor about access to unit-specific resources and other university systems.
- Remember to enroll in payroll, benefits, and pension packages for new employees. Follow the instructions stated on the page.
- Your office administrator can help with building access & security-related requests. Building information can be found here.
- Please see here for official FoM document templates, logos, & other communications materials.
- Please discuss with your supervisor about additional purchases such as business cards, cell phones, and extra equipment.
- Please contact the office coordinator, administrator, or department assistant about ordering office supplies and mail services.
- Please contact the office coordinator or administrator about facilties & maintenance requests.
- Complete Room Booking & Videoconferencing information and instructions can be found here.
- Campus Security & Emergency Contacts
- About UBC
- Get a UBCcard from the UBC Bookstore – please know your employee number and bring picture ID with you. This card has a variety of uses throughout the campus.
- Learn more about Health & Safety Programs.
- Learn more about Workplace Wellbeing & Benefits.
- Learn more about Office Ergonomics.
- Learn more about Transportation options to & from campus. For those at hospital sites, please contact your office administrator about available commuting options.
- Sign up for UBC Alerts.
- Follow us on social media for news and updates.
- If you are new to UBC, please also view the UBC HR Orientation.
- If you are also new to Vancouver, please also read the information from Housing & Relocation Services.
- For accessibility needs or requests, learn more at the UBC Centre for Workplace Accessibility.
Onboarding Forms For Staff
This table contains supporting documents for Dean’s Office staff onboarding and off-boarding.